Aerosmith star Steven is “doing splendidly” after attack of food poisoning contributed to hotel room tumble, losing him two teeth

Steven Tyler

Fall: Steve Tyler

Steven Tyler’s hotel room tumble was caused by nothing more serious than an attack of food poisoning, his band reports.

The Aerosmith singer, 63, lost two teeth when he fell in the shower in Paraguay on Tuesday as the band prepared to perform in Asuncion. The show was postponed and went ahead last night.

Rumours of a more serious medical condition have been shut down in a band statement, which says his collapse was due to feeling ill after eating.

“Steven Tyler suffered minor injuries as a result of food poisoning,” the statement explains. “He was taken to the hospital where he was treated and released.

“Steven would like to sincerely apologise to his fans in Paraguay for the inconvenience.”

The dentist who provided treatment for the singer’s mouth said he was “doing splendidly”. Tyler surprised medical staff “with his cheerfulness” and was “friendly and humble” during the procedure, he added.

Tyler fell off a South Dakota stage in 2009 as a result of drink and drugs issues, forcing the band onto hiatus and bringing them to the brink of collapsing. They got back together in 2010 and are expected to complete work next year on their first new album in a decade.

Related stories: