Audience member hijacks interview and heckles ex-GnR bassist Duff about final meeting with the Nirvana star before he killed himself

Duff McKagan

Hands on: Duff McKagan

Duff McKagan personally escorted a heckler out of a question-and-answer session after the audience member accused him of lying over his final meeting with Kurt Cobain.

The former Guns n’Roses bassist is believed to be one of the last people who saw the Nirvana frontman alive before he took his own life.

The pair were on a flight from Los Angeles to Seattle a few days before Cobain’s suicide – but McKagan says they were both in their own personal hell and failed to meaningfully communicate.

They came close to talking at the airport’s baggage reclaim area, but the moment passed, McKagan reported.

On Friday a middle-aged man was unsatisfied with the bassist’s answer to his question about Cobain during a book-signing appearance, and refused to sit down when asked.

Instead he approached the stage carrying a video camera and demanded to know: “Was he depressed on the airline flight? Was he despondent? Was he in despair?

“You never seem to be telling the truth.”

As other audience members called on him to “get out” and said, “It’s somebody else’s turn,” the man was surrounded by event personnel. He began to protest about “intellectual freedom” to be told: “You’re not an intellectual” by someone in the crowd.

Eventually he became aggressive and shouted: “Get your hands off of me before I knock your ass down, motherfucker.”

At that point McKagan shouted: “Get the fuck out of here, motherfucker,” and came off the stage to personally eject the man. He then returned to appreciative applause.

Last year the bassist revealed how he’d never properly dealt with his emotions over the last meeting with Cobain.

He wrote in his Seattle Weekly column: “We were both fucked-up. We talked, but not in depth. I was in my hell, and he in his, and this we both seemed to understand.

“When we arrived in Seattle and went to baggage claim, the thought crossed my mind to invite him over to my house then and there. I had a real sense that he was lonely and alone that night. I felt the same way. There was a mad rush of people there in public. I was in a big rock band, and he was in a big rock band. We were standing next to each other. Lots of people stopped to gawk. I lost my train of thought for a minute, and Kurt said good-bye and left to his waiting town car. His new house was right down the street from my new house.

“I received a call from my manager two days later that Kurt had died.”

Related stories: